Chicken and Quinoa Minestrone
Author: Marian Cooper Cairns
For The Soup:
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 c. chicken stock
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 Parmesan rind (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
2/3 c. quinoa, rinsed
1/2 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves torn
6 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved
For The Garlicky Herb Sauce:
1 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 c. fresh basil
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine onion, carrots, fennel, garlic, stock, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano, bay leaf, Parmesan rind (if desired), and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and cheese rind. Remove chicken, discard bones, and shred meat; return to the slow cooker.
- Stir in quinoa, kale, and green beans. Cover and cook until quinoa is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the Garlicky Herb Sauce:
Pulse parsley, basil, garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, and red pepper flakes in a food processor until finely chopped, 15 to 20 times. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
Author: Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil
2-3 heads of garlic
1 whole chicken (4-5 lbs)
Fresh rosemary or any fresh herbs
All-purpose steak seasoning or salt/pepper
- Cut garlic heads and lemons in half and lay in bottom of slow cooker.
- Cut the bottoms off the lemons so they lay flat.
- Add a sprig of rosemary, or an herbs.
- Remove insides from chicken, rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Season chicken well, inside and out, with all-purpose steak seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken on top of garlic and lemon slices and stuff the chicken with a garlic head cut in half, and a lemon cut into quarters.
- Cover top of chicken with additional lemon slices and rosemary.
- Turn slow cooker to high, and cook for about 4 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees (slow cooker times may vary - use meat thermometer to check for doneness).
- When chicken reaches 165, turn off slow cooker and let chicken rest for about 15 minutes. Remove from slow cooker, carve and serve. Liquid from slow cooker can be strained and served over chicken.
Easy One Pot Taco Soup
1 lb. 96%-99% lean ground beef or turkey
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 ( 4 oz.) can green chilies
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 (15.5 oz.) can canned black beans, drained
2 cups corn kernels, frozen and thawed
2 cups low sodium beef broth
Shredded cheese-reduced fat
Fat free sour cream or non fat plain Greek yogurt
Fresh chopped cilantro leaves or scallions, finely sliced
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Place the ground beef and all other ingredients into a slow cooker. Mix until well combined.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings such as; cilantro, cheese, non fat plain Greek yogurt, fat free sour cream, avocado slices, and/or tortilla chips.
Makes 6 (11/4 cup) servings.